Students are strongly encouraged to utilize the main Music Collection held in Founders Library, located directly across the Yard from the Fine Arts building.
The card catalogs of the Library may be accessed online at https://secure.howard.edu.
Founders also has exchange privileges with many other area libraries.
Founders Library also maintains music@howard, an online collection of streaming performances featuring the HU Jazz Ensemble, the Choir, the Chorale, Afro Blue, the Symphony Orchestra and the Community Choir, as well as individual faculty and student performers.
The Department of Music subscribes to Naxos, an online music library:
- More than 93,750 CD-length recordings equivalent to 1,361,100 tracks uploaded, with addition of over 800 CD-length recordings every month;
- Complete catalogues or selected recordings of over 640 labels such as ARC, Berlin Classics, BIS, Capriccio, Chandos, EMI Classics, Erato, Finlandia, Hänssler Classic, Harmonia Mundi, Hungaroton, Naïve, Naxos, Nonesuch, Nimbus, Ondine, RCA Records, Sony Classical, Teldec, Virgin Classics and Warner Classics;
- Classical, Jazz, World, Classic Rock, Nostalgia music;
- Wide range of standard and specialist repertoire;
- Music notes, cover artwork, tracklist, instrumentation and publisher information;
- Libretti and synopses of more than 700 operas; and
- More than 40,000 composer and artist biographies.
Students and faculty may access Naxos here: http://howard.naxosmusiclibrary.com/
Please note that you can only access the Naxos library using a computer that is connected to the Howard University network. If you are off-campus, you will need to first sign in to the Howard VPN (Virtual Private Network): https://secure.howard.edu