LIBRARY COLLECTIONS AND RECORDINGS
Students are strongly encouraged to utilize the main Music Collection held in Founders Library, located directly across the Yard from the Fine Arts building.
Founders Library also maintains Music@Howard, an online collection of streaming performances featuring the HU Jazz Ensemble, the Choir, the Chorale, Afro Blue, the Symphony Orchestra and the Community Choir, as well as individual faculty and student performers.
Additionally, the Department of Music subscribes to Naxos, an online music library:
- More than 93,750 CD-length recordings equivalent to 1,361,100 tracks uploaded, with addition of over 800 CD-length recordings every month;
- Complete catalogues or selected recordings of over 640 labels such as ARC, Berlin Classics, BIS, Capriccio, Chandos, EMI Classics, Erato, Finlandia, Hänssler Classic, Harmonia Mundi, Hungaroton, Naïve, Naxos, Nonesuch, Nimbus, Ondine, RCA Records, Sony Classical, Teldec, Virgin Classics and Warner Classics;
- Classical, Jazz, World, Classic Rock, Nostalgia music;
- Wide range of standard and specialist repertoire;
- Music notes, cover artwork, tracklist, instrumentation and publisher information;
- Libretti and synopses of more than 700 operas; and
- More than 40,000 composer and artist biographies
Students and faculty may access Naxos here: http://howard.naxosmusiclibrary.com/
Please note that you can only access the Naxos library using a computer that is connected to the Howard University network.
Practice Rooms are provided for the exclusive use of currently validated Department of Music students and other HU students currently enrolled in Department of Music courses and private instruction.
To enter the Practice Area, students are required to sign in and show a current HU ID to the Security Officer on duty. Individual practice rooms are equipped with card key locks to support security and enhance student safety.
All students are required to comply with the Piano and Music Room Guidelines. Food & beverages are not permitted in the Practice Area. Infractions may result in formal citation and suspension of practice room privileges.
Please note that most areas of the Department of Music—including hallways, the band room and the practice area—are under active camera surveillance by the Howard University Department of Public Safety.
Practice Area Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday, 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM*
Sunday, 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM*
*Please be packed up and out of your practice room 15 minutes prior to closing in order to permit the Security Officer to make final rounds and secure the Practice Area.
The Practice Area is closed during Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring recesses, as well as during the summer months.